Thursday, June 24, 2010

Clearly the gods are not smiling on me at the moment, or perhaps the planets are out of alignment. It seems every other client is cancelling, not attending, not responding, not paying - the going is hard.

I am surprised at just how much this has affected my mood in the last week and I am looking forward to my one to one supervision in a few days. When things like this happen, it is difficult to hold on to the good feedback and remain positive about my skills.

The situation is made worse by the problems current clients are presenting with, which are all heavy and in the category of "only time will heal": relationship breakdown, bereavement, job losses. I know my role is a valuable one for them, in that in some cases I am the only person they have talked to about their situation and also that they can say things to me that they could not say to friends or family members without feeling disloyal or judged, and get in touch with emotions they keep hidden from their nearest and dearest in order to appear strong and to protect children and family, for example.

It makes me reflect on the importance of my regular supervision sessions and also be thankful for the cheerful, chatty,irreverent social networking on facebook which lightens my mood. It's great to be in touch with such a variety of people and share their jokes and quips and view of events both personal and public.

Looking forward to a complete break away next weekend - an opportunity just to be me. I really feel I will have earned it!

No comments: